Let me start this post with a disclaimer: I am not a vegan, but I have vegan tendencies from time to time. As a proud Midwest born gal, I have a deep connection with meat. Yes, I am your steak and potatoes kind of girl. Why? I don't know. Try to think of it as Marylanders and crabs, it's a part of my geographical DNA.
Moving right along to my VEGAN BREAKFAST HASH. So, I was recently asked to create a vegan dish, something other than a kale salad, green juice or tofu burger, yet something appealing to the 'meat lover'. I kindly accepted the challenge. Oh and it had to taste delicious, not the "I know it is healthy for me and I SHOULD like this" delicious, but good enough to make my fellow meat eaters rethink their commitment to the carnivore lifestyle.
Now as to the reason why I aimed for breakfast, I'm not quite sure. Breakfast is one of my favorite meals and I like to take it beyond the cereal and milk combos that I grew up on as a kid. I also wanted to make a spin on my grandfather's breakfast hash that he would bless me with from time to time. With that being said my Vegan Hash was born.
- 14oz Extra Firm Tofu (pressed)
- 2 small purple sweet potatoes
- 2 white potatoes
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped (or grape tomatoes halved)
- 2 Bell Peppers diced (1 yellow, 1 orange)
- 1/2 Avocado
- Lemon Juice (drizzle for grilling avocado)
- Cooking Oil (for frying potatoes)
- Olive Oil (to brush on avocado before grilling)
- Seasonings: Tumeric, Adobo, Black Pepper, etc (whatever your heart desires)
2. Crumble now dry tofu and season with selected seasonings (remember you have the freedom of choice on this one).
3. Prepare potatoes (do not peel potatoes)
4. Heat oil in skillet. Cook over medium-high heat and add onions and seasoning after 5 min. Continue to cook until potatoes are crispy
5. Add the remaining vegetables for hash (peppers, chard, tomato)
6. Combine tofu, potatoes and vegetables together and cook until done
7. Slice avocado in half and prepare avocado for grill (brush with olive oil and lemon juice)
8. Grill the avocado half and place on top of hash
**(Feel free to use this for meal prep for the work week)**