Mmmmmmm tacos. Who doesn't love a good taco? (or two or three). Now I am all for taking my time and creating an edible masterpiece, but sometimes my little sliver of free time won't give me permission to indulge. But what if I were to tell you that you could both enjoy and amazing taco and prep time is a breeze? Sound too good to be true? Nope, not at all.
I've been eating tacos (like anyone else) for as long as I can remember. Usually the basic Americanized version of taco. Please don't judge me. It wasn't until college that I explored Mexican cuisine outside of the typical nacho-burrito-ground beef taco from a chain restaurant. One of my college buddies (who I believe I talked about before on this blog in the Ultimate Burrito Bowl recipe) did a pretty good job in exposing me to her cuisine during that 4 year period.
Although, not exactly what she prepared for me and my then boyfriend (now husband), these chicken cactus tacos were definitely inspired by Nicole.
Don't get all weird with the thought of 'cactus'. The cactus that I use is actually something you can pick up from the supermarket. Not only is it tender, but it's also what I would consider a flavor bomb! The cactus takes this chicken taco from ordinary to extraordinary. Now how about that recipe.
Ingredients (Feel free to play with the quantity. Make this recipe YOURS)
- 1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- canola oil (a couple of tablespoons for cooking the chicken)
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning blend (This is optional, but great to make ahead and keep on hand)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Adobo Seasoning
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, sliced
- Queso Blanco (Topping)
- Mild Chili Tabasco Sauce
- 1/2 cup (or more) Dona Maria Nopalitos
- Blue Corn Taco Shells
Flavors to Try: Steak, Chorizo, Pinto Beans, Jalapeños, Habanero Pepper, Cilantro and more....
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine chicken, canola oil and seasoning. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, and juices run clear. Prepare the rest of your ingredients for assembly.
2. Add sliced peppers and onions to skillet and cook. *Add cactus at very end.* Remove from heat.
3. Place mixture into Blue Corn Tortillas
4. Top with queso blanco and tabasco sauce (optional)
5. Enjoy (no it really is that insanely simple)